Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources

Ombudsman Services

We are still working for our community. With more than 4,000 long-term care residents and nearly 150 facilities in our region, we’re making it our top priority to be fully accessible to residents and their loved ones.

If you have a:

  • Complaint
  • Request for Ombudsman attend a care plan
  • Request for Advanced Health Care Directive be witnessed in a Skilled Nursing Facility

Or, need to reach a Long-Term Care Ombudsman you may reach us at (661) 323-7884, or you may call our 24-hour State Crisis Line 1 (800) 231-4024.

Information for Residents & Families

Should I take my loved one home during the COVID-19 crisis?

COVID-19 has raised a lot of different issues for residents and families. Frequently Asked Questions with answers.

What Residents & Families Need to Know: A Fact Sheet

Updates from California of Public Health

Information for Facilities

Guidance for SNFs

Resuming Business Toolkit

Guidance for RCFEs

Resuming Business Toolkit

Advanced Health Care Directives

AHCD – English
AHCD Instructions
AHCD – Spanish

Please note that the Spanish directive has been provided simply for translation purposes and will not be accepted by medical staff. Ombudsman cannot witness the signing of a directive completed in Spanish. ALL directives have to be completed in English.

Nursing Home

How to Choose a Nursing Home Fact Sheet
Transfer/Discharge Rights Fact Sheet
Resident’s Rights Fact Sheet

Nursing Home Evaluation Checklist

Should I sign an Arbitration Agreement? Fact Sheet Arbitration Agreements

To access specific public information regarding placement options, complaints, citations, or deficiencies issued to a skilled nursing facility by the California Department of Public Health, please click here.

You may also contact the California Department of Public Health for general inquiries or to make a complaint by phone at:
(661) 336-0543

Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (Assisted Living)

Overview of Assisted Living/Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly

RCFE Eviction Protections Fact Sheet
RCFE Evaluation Checklist Fact Sheet
Outline of Resident Rights in RCFE’s

To access specific public information regarding placement options, complaints or citations issued by the California Department of Social Services, please click here.

You may also contact the California Department of Social Services for general inquiries or to make a complaint by phone at:

Aging and Adult Services (Independent Living)

To file a complaint on behalf of a resident living in an unlicensed facility or a private home, or to access a list of room and board facilities, you can reach AAA at (661) 868-1000. Other services provided by Aging and Adult Services include In Home Supportive Services and referrals for Conservatorship filings. Additional services can be referenced in the program brochures attached below.

APS Brochure English
APS Brochure Spanish


For more information on conservatorship, including how to make a referral, please  click here.

Office of the Kern County District Attorney (Civil Enforcement)

To file a Consumer Complaint on behalf of a resident in a licensed care facility who has experienced unfair or unlawful business practices, you can contact the DA by phone at (661) 868-2340. You may also file a complaint in writing by clicking here.

Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc.

Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance provides legal services to senior citizens on a number of legal matters. These include assistance with the revocation of powers of attorney, protection orders, and numerous other legal matters. Contact their office for assistance at (661) 325-5943.

Kern Health Consumer Center

As a program of Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance, Inc., the Kern Health Consumer Center is committed to addressing the health access problems of California consumers. The center provides free local assistance for problems with Medi-Cal, Medicare, Covered California, and private insurance plans. Call a Health Advocate at (661) 321-3982.

Appeal for Medicare Therapy Discharge

To appeal a discharge from therapy with Medicare, you can call Livanta at 1-877-588-1123, or you may reach them here.

California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform

Provides long-term care justice and advocacy, compares nursing and residential care homes in California, and includes information on regulations and attorney referrals. Feel free to contact them at 1 – (800)474-1116.

For further assistance and fact sheets on numerous topics relating to long-term care, please visit CANHR’s website.

Quick Reference Website List

National Long Term Care Ombudsman Resource Center
Includes a directory of local Ombudsman contact information.

The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long Term Care (formerly NCCNHR)
Consumer Guides to choosing a nursing home
Information regarding long term care facilities and issues

Independent Living Center of Kern County
ILCKC provides Assistive Technology, Counseling and More. Contact them at (661) 325-1063.

Valley Caregiver Resource Center
Information regarding respite services and emotional support for the caregiver. Contact them at (661) 821-1626.

Alzheimer’s Disease Association of Kern County
Provides adult day services and support groups, along with a variety of other services. Contact them at 661-665-8871.


If you have a complaint, requesting a medical power of attorney be witnessed in a Skilled Nursing Facility or need to reach a Long-Term Care Ombudsman you may reach us at (661) 323-7884, or you may call our 24- hour State Crisis Line 1(800) 231-4024. 

As mandated by the Older Americans Act, the mission of the Long-Term Care Ombudsman program is to seek resolution of problems and advocate for the rights of residents of long-term care facilities with the goal of enhancing the quality of life and care of residents.


COVID-19 Scams
Beware of Offers to Test for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Don’t give your Medicare number to anyone over the phone or to door-to-door solicitors offering to test for the Coronavirus/COVID-19.

Beware of:
» Scammers approaching residents of senior housing and assisted living facilities about “opportunities” for COVID-19 testing

» Robocalls about “special virus kits” and asking for your Medicare number to send a “free” test

» Emails offering COVID-19 testing services that can be ordered through a telehealth provider.

If you come across any coronavirus scams or other healthcare scams, please report it to California Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) at 855-613-7080, visit